Friday, August 13, 2010

An American Tail: God Carries A Shotgun


I used to think a "shotgun wedding" was one that happened really quickly into a relationship. If a couple met, dated, and decided to get married in the space of a couple of weeks/months, I chalked that up as a "shotgun wedding". Why was it called a "shotgun wedding"? "Because shotguns shoot things really quickly" was my answer.

I'm an idiot.

With that in mind, one could say that my visit to the States was a "shotgun internship" of sorts. We met, sent a couple of emails back and forth, and without really knowing what I was getting myself into I was a soon-to-be intern at First Assembly of God, Worcester, MA. Many question ensued, none of which I could answer:

- "What will you be doing?"

- "I don't quite know."

- "Where will you be staying?"

- "I'm not 100% sure."

- "Why aren't you wearing any pants?"

- "Good question."

Most of the 8 weeks that lay ahead were an enigma to me. There were, however, two things I did know. 1) I knew I'd be leading a Bible Study, though I didn't know what that would look like. 2) I knew I'd be singing hymns and doing some talks at a Senior's chapel, but again this information posed as many questions as answers.

But actually, I lie. There were three things that I knew, the third being the most crucial of all. It was that if God wanted me in Worcester, I'd be in Worcester (Is there any other reason to be in Worcester, it has to be asked?). I knew that if my pale Irish skin ended up in the land flowing with chocolate milk and Honey Dew donuts, it would be God's doing; I would be there as a result of God's calling, and therefore he would equip me for whatever lay ahead. This is not a common form of knowing -- certainly not for me, anyway -- but amidst the uncertainty of my shotgun internship it was exactly the kind of knowledge that I needed - deeper than information and tangible facts; more comforting than a schedule or a complete to-do list.

Tune in next time as the story continues...

No comments:

Post a Comment