Friday, January 9, 2009

We Need To Talk

So, I've written my first song...kind of. It doesn't have any words, nor did I ever really plan what I was going to play, so "written" is a very loose description of the process which took place. I just started playing a little riff on the guitar, decided to record it, and added in some bits and bobs. The result certainly reflects as much, but as embarrassed as I am about the sheer amateurishness of it all, I'm also somewhat proud of how spur of the moment it is. I didn't try and mix it very well, and as you can tell from the sharp tones of the electric guitar, I spent no time equalising anything. It just...happened so fast, you know? One minute I was fingerpicking on my acoustic guitar, and the next minute...I was putting a stereo track onto a CD. If I could go back in time then yes, I'd do things differently, but that's just how it happened. Was it a mistake? Probably, but it was my mistake to make...

I'm sorry, I've been watching a lot of Felicity lately. In fact, I've been watching so much that not only is it's dialogue being woven into my blog post, but I've named my song We Need To Talk. Pretty ironic, eh? An instrumental called We Need To Talk. Eh? Eh?!

Anyhoo, have a listen.


3 comments:

  1. I really liked that, I wouldn't have commented if I didn't. It was really nice, I wasn't a fan of the way at the beginning the base note (??) lingered a bit (I hope you can make out what I'm trying to say there) but otherwise I thought it was fantastic. It reminded me of, and I hope you take this in the manner which is intended cause I really like this song, Dust in the Wind by Kansas. Well done... now write some words!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'll leave this one wordless. That way it can be used as the exit music of a TV show aimed at high school kids some time.

    Not quite sure what you mean by bass note? As in the thick E string of the acoustic? Ill have a listen and see. There are definitely problems though, so I'll see if I can maybe fix some of them by actually tweaking it a bit.

    Glad you liked it anyway. Maybe ill record something else, although there's so much to live up to now...but not really.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I star on your TV show aimed at high school kids. Maybe I don't have the dashing good looks, but I make up for that with...the fact that I can read a cue card.

    ReplyDelete