There are few bands making music for music's sake nowadays. Sun Kil Moon are one of those bands. Of course "making music for music's sake"could just be seen as a euphemism for "making music that no one buys", but let's not get cynical here. There was enough of that in the 'Bent Toddley' post.
The reason I bring up Sun Kil Moon is two fold. One - they're a great band and deserve more attention. And two - they're playing in Dublin on September 20, so I'd highly recommend you go to that if you like the songs I post at the end. If you don't, then you're not coming to my birthday, and to be honest, I'm not even sure we can be friends.
If you'd like a list of reasons to go, then here are some to chew on:
- I'm going, but as of now I'm going alone. That said, I ordered two tickets, so if you'd like to join me then please contact me somehow.
- It takes place on a Saturday. Convenient, eh?
- Their lead singer, Mark Kozelek, pens some of the best lyrics floating around these days. If you've been exposed to too much James Blunt and you're looking for hope in the world, a Sun Kil Moon gig is a good place to turn to.
- Their music is soothing, without being middle-of-the-road and inoffensive, aka bland (see Jack Johnson).
- They use open guitar tunings. Who doesn't like open guitar tunings?
- Mark Kozelek doesn't talk much, and when he does, he's usually quite dry and cynical. (That's probably more of a reason not to go, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.)
- Simply going to this gig will automatically put you in my good books forever. However, going to this gig and really enjoying it may well lead to a marriage proposal from me...and that goes for both ladies and fellas.
- Mark Kozelek looks remarkably like Keith from One Tree Hill (take a look at the above picture again). Ever wondered what Keith would be like as a musician? Come see Sun Kil Moon and find out.
- I may start weeping if they play certain songs. So this will either be a good chance for you to make fun of me for crying at a gig, or a chance to be the shoulder I cry on.
- And finally, here are a couple of youtube links to some of their songs. I strongly urge you to have a proper listen (headphones if possible) and see if they're your cup of tea. If they are but you can't make the gig because you live in a different country, then just find their website and see if they're playing near you. However, if you can make the gig, then do come along. And if you like the songs I post, tell me via comments etc. If you don't like them, then it's probably best you keep that to yourself, lest things get ugly 'round these here parts.
Carry Me Ohio