Tuesday, February 2, 2010

A Religious Experience

Sometimes life and football combine to form a religious experience; a moment of sheer transcendent beauty that makes you conclude that there is after all a God...and right now, he is a Barcelona fan.

In May of 2009 I had one such moment, and thanks to YouTube I can relive it again and again and again.

There is so much to enjoy from this minute and a half that I don't know where to start. In real time I was resigned to Barcelona's fate. Alves hit a rare decent cross into the box, but Terry seemed to have extinguished the threat. Then, through a combination of luck and carelessness, the ball was at Messi's feet just outside the Chelsea box. Chelsea fans in Stamford Bridge could immediately be heard inhaling nervously; Barcelona fans edged out of there seats. At least I did anyway. Finally, in a scene reminiscent of the one in Mighty Ducks D2 where Mendoza passes the puck back to the goaltender of all people, Messi strokes the ball towards the unassuming Iniesta. The rest is very much history.

I rarely get demonstrably excited, but this had me bouncing up and down on the couch and hugging my friend beside me. Of course that was nothing compared to Barcelona's celebrations. Iniesta removed his shirt and started swinging it around awkwardly. Most of his teammates jumped on top of him near the corner flag, many of whom had run from the Barcelona bench. Then the camera cuts to Ashley Cole looking utterly dejected, which brings things to a whole new level.

The focus shifts to Pep Guardiola, who is scampering back towards his own bench (we see why in a few seconds) frantically gesturing towards whatever substitutes weren't lying on top of Don Andres at that particular moment. Andy Grey sums it all up for us as a replay of the goal is shown:

"No wonder this is the sport we love."

Indeed, Andy. All eyes move to the reaction of the Barcelona bench as the goal is scored. We witness Pep running down the touchline with arms flailing and eyes looking to the heavens, no doubt with a mix of disbelief and gratitude.

Unbelievable. Unscripted drama at its very best. This is the sport I love. This video tells you why I love it.

7 comments:

  1. The best part of this whole experience and the reason I love this game, is that Chelsea were knocked out in devestating fashion :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful. especially the ashley cole shot...

    ReplyDelete
  3. naturally, i will watch anything featuring on pep guardiola or however you spell it.....and i will watch anything where john terry loses.....anything..i don't care about football but i do care about tools who cheat on their wives/use a chance at representing their country to cash in for money they are going to give away doing classy things like gambling or urinating into pint glasses......

    mm...didn't realise i felt so strongly about that!......

    also to say.....really feel your writing has gone to a new level.....comes across very mature and extremely well thought out......the practice and maybe the class(?) are paying dividends.....

    all that time typing on your own in FreezerVille is obviously paying off....because, you know....I'm impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. - I seem to have stumbled across the Anti-Chelsea weekly forum. Can I join? I hate Chelsea.

    - Listen, if you wanted to join the Anti-Chelsea weekly forum, you'd have to REALLY hate Chelsea.

    - I do

    - Oh yeah? How much?

    - A lot.

    - Right, you're in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Echos of Life of ..............what's that fellows name again?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't know why that came up "anonymous". I must have the recognition.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great header by Terry that was at the start of the clip. Poor Essien must (or at least he'd better) relive that moment everytime he closes his eyes. Ineista's strike was akin to hitting a golf ball but I think I deeply admire Chelsea and it does irk me still to see this clip.

    ReplyDelete