Monday, May 17, 2010

Addiction

I could never be a famous songwriter for several reason. One of them is that my life has been too tame. Hard living for me consists of eating two packets of Haribo Kiddie's SuperMix in a row. Unless the slogan changes to "Conversation, sweets and rock'n roll", I just won't cut it.

One artist who does have stories to tell of decadent living is Kevin Devine, a New Yorker with a history of drug abuse. The best compliment I can pay to him is this: he writes songs in such a way that almost makes me wish I had a nasty cocaine habit, just so I could write like he writes.

In 'You'll Only End Up Joining Them', he describes his addiction in as, er, good [?] a way as I've heard:

And I can't say that it's a sickness, more like a stranger I ask in
And later realize, was a strangler
Slipping nooses in my den
But I was lonely so I asked him, "Could you tie that one on me?"
It wasn't his fault, I was eager, and I was weak.

Loneliness breeds addiction (and vice-versa), at least in Devine's life. Is this true in general? Anyway, have a listen to the song below and go out and buy the album it's taken from. It made #5 in my top 20 albums of 2010 (which, by the way, would be quite different if I did the list again). Do recommendations get more credible than that?

Yes. Yes they do.

2 comments:

  1. Why are these lyrics paired with this melody? It disappoints me. Reminds me of The Rolling Stones version of "Dead Flowers". BOO!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps you'll find this version a bit more fitting:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp7btujOmE4

    ReplyDelete