Thursday, February 16, 2012

What Is Creationism?

On the surface, it sounds as if it is the belief that a god created all things, which is both the first proclamation in Christian scripture and part of the first line of the Apostle's Creed. Yet there are numerous Christians who believe in a god who is creator but who are not creationists. Why is this possible? I don't ask because I doubt it's possibility, but because I just don't have a very clear understanding about what creationism is and isn't.

While I'm at it: Intelligent Design. What is it, and why should Christians who believe in a god who "fearfully and wonderfully made" us dismiss it as nonsense?

I ask these questions in light of viewing Conor Cunningham's documentary Did Darwin Kill God? One of his books -- Darwin's Pious Idea -- received praise from the likes of Charles Taylor, Slavoj Zizek, David Bentley Hart and Stanley Hauerwas, so he's clearly worth listening to.

No comments:

Post a Comment