Saturday, April 28, 2012

A Complementarian's Diary

Egalitarianism is a slippery slope. One minute I might be foolishly allowing a woman the dignity of having a voice that matters more than my own, the next I might be announcing my decision to have a sex change. Now I'm not saying egalitarianism would be the direct cause of my desire to become a woman, but it sure wouldn't help, would it?

Of course, I think -- I think -- it's not a "gospel issue". Just like there are some Catholics who might be saved, I firmly believe that there might be some egalitarians in heaven too. After all, they could be nominally egalitarian but functionally complementarian. So while they may say that in Christ male and female are one, as long as they don't put that into practice then who am I to judge?

By the way, I'd also like to take the time to thank God for the amazing conference I just got back from. To be in a gospel-centred room full of gospel-centred Christian men underwriting the biblical conviction that the male voice is the only one worth listening to in gospel-centred churches was so gospel-centred and Christ (who was, after all, a man) focused that it made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. Hairs that I'm not sure women even have. 

But you know what? I'm also so thankful for all the wives who stayed away from the conference. These are gospel-centred, biblical women who know that they have no business being anywhere near an event that is about male things like church and authority and preaching. I am truly inspired to be a leader by their servile nature. That they raise our children while we surf the blogosphere and write gospel-centred sermons and tell couples how to live biblical lives is a witness to God's creational desires. There, how's that for a compliment!?

They don't call us complementarians for nothing you know :)

(Inspired by this farcical piece)

No comments:

Post a Comment