Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Same Old Same Old


‘In the meantime, in the case of those who were denounced to me as Christians, this is the procedure I followed. I asked them whether they were Christians. If they confessed I threatened them with punishment and asked them a second and a third time. If they persevered, I ordered them to be taken away for execution. For I had no doubt that whatever it was they professed, stubbornness and inflexible bloody-mindedness ought of course to be punished’.  
Pliny, Letters X.96 

In other words, believe whatever you want, but don't take what you believe too seriously if you want to remain a part of our tolerant society.

Today, this serious belief is pejoratively labelled as "fundamentalism".

Perhaps Kevin is right after all - What Ireland Needs is More Sectarian Fundamentalists!

No comments:

Post a Comment