Monday, February 25, 2013

Faith in Faith

I don't take faith, and a person's believing that they have faith, to be the same thing. Nor do I take unbelief, or being without faith, and doubting whether they have it, to be the same thing, but entirely different. 
- Jonathan Edwards

This is why, along with Stanley Hauerwas, we shouldn't take our subjectivity too seriously. Protestant spirituality is often driven by an anxious need to know that we know. Belief in God amounts to believing that we believe in God, even if we don't actually believe in God. We are consumed by our individuality. We are, in short, a community of solipsists, otherwise known as the church!

What I need instead is a community of people who know that I know, even when I don't know that I know. Or who know that I don't know, even if I don't know that I don't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment