Friday, May 1, 2009

A Community Project

The first step towards formulating my best man's speech has finally been taken. It involved typing "tips for best man speech" into google and perusing a few pertinent websites. The next step is Wikipedia, after which I'll have pretty much exhausted by research ideas. I did get one helpful tip from my initial google search, which is why I'm here writing about the speech in the first place. The tip is that the speech should be a community project, with the best man feeding on the input of those who know the subjects in question - in this case, my brother or his bride-to-be.

So with that, I am opening the floor to those who either have an anecdote or observance that can be incorporated into my speech. Or perhaps you just know more about speeches than I do and can give me some generally helpful tips. If these sound like the words of a desperate man bereft of ideas, then make no mistake about it - they are. In six weeks I will be expected to be funny/intelligible in front of a couple of hundred people, many of whom will probably not know who I am (and I include relatives in that).

Your support won't be so much beneficial as it will be necessary, so please, donate generously either by leaving a comment, an email, a text, or whatever. And be as disparaging as you like. The purpose of my speech is to make the bride seriously question her decision to marry my brother*.


* I'm kidding.

1 comment: