Friday, May 8, 2009

The 'Link' Ploy

Sequels are said to almost always be inferior to the originals. A look at Disney films of the 90's (for want of a more adult case study) is proof. The Lion King we love, but The Lion King II: Simba's Pride? Pocahontas is a classic, but Pocahantas II: Journey to a New World? No thanks. In fact I didn't even know the latter existed until I stumbled across it a few months ago while looking for something -- anything -- with which to entertain my two nephews.

This post is following the pattern of a Simpsons episode, because my point has nothing to do with sequels, but rather spin-offs. I don't know the popular concensus with regards spin-offs -- though I do know that Joey was tragic, as was That 80's show -- but I imagine it's something similar. Which eventually takes me to the point. Those of you in the know are perhaps aware that this mothership of a blog sent a reasonably sized ship -- a daughtership, if you will -- to hover over the footballing world. Lean Not has had a spin off since the end of August, which concentrates solely on matters pertaining to a small, spherical object being kicked around by flimsy, overpaid objects. I'm sort of pleased to say it's actually doing better than the original. Much, much better in fact, if the hits counters at the bottom of each blog are to believed (perhaps a big 'if', but still).

This indicates to me a few things:

- I know more about football than I do Christianity. As a Christian, and not a footballer, I should probably work on that.

- Apart from about three people, all the other people I know who are aware of my blogging haven't really got the slightest interest in football. Where did all this interest in Football Beauty come from? I find it hard to believe that people just stumble across it.

- Football is a more popular topic than Theology. Who knew?

I can account for some of the discrpeancy between the two blogs by looking at the output of each. Football Beauty gets updated a lot more regularly, and so it's only natural that the more one puts into something there more one gets out of it. I intend to rectify the situation however. Lean Not will come out from under the shadow of its wildly popular spin-off, the Frasier to its Cheers. The impending Summer almost demands it. I intend to get the oringinal back to the dizzy heights of 10 hits a day, by whatever means necessary. One way is to simply put a link up for it on my football blog and hope that brings in the football public. Another way is to start producing a higher quality of output that engages the reader and encourages them to think about that which transcends even football, and thus gets them to spread the word.

I think I'll go with the 'link' ploy for now...

3 comments:

  1. Perhaps its the fact that Lionel Messi has a bit more prolific that big JC of late.Jesus is the Danny Cadamaterri of historic figures, resting on his laurels so much that some amongst us have been left to question why it is his name is still rings any bells at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a Messiah joke in here somewhere. Im just not sure where...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait. I've got one...Actually no, that's terrible. Never mind.

    ReplyDelete