Friday, July 3, 2009

The Recession


The reality of the recession really hit me today. I was leaving town with what I thought was just enough change to get myself on a bus back home. I counted it up, and to my dismay it only came to E1.58 of the required E1.60. I knew the bus was coming soon since there was a lot of old people hanging around the bus stop (they have a sort of sixth sense for these things), so time was not on my side. I rooted through every pocket on me, eventually resorting to evacuating each of them in the hopes of stumbling across a couple of cents. I couldn't believe it - nothing. Not a cent.

Then along came the bus. Now time was really running out. I caught a break however, with the usually annoying bus driver swap working to my advantage for once, thus buying me a couple of precious minutes. I ran through my options - chance getting on the bus for two cents cheaper, ask someone for a few cents. Neither seemed desirable. The former because of what I know about bus drivers, and the latter because I just couldn't bring myself to ask a stranger for money, even a considerably small amount of money. Perhaps I'm too proud, but is asking a stranger for some spare change something you would be prepared to do in a similar scenario?

It was now too late to go to the ATM and get a quick tenner, so I left myself no alternative but to...[hangs head in shame]...root around the various bus stops for any money lying on the ground. I scavenged up and down the pavement, looking desperately for anything shiny but trying also to look as nonchalant and inconspicuous as possible. The bus was being boarded at this stage so my attempts to remain covert quickly waned, until eventually I was on my hands and knees scooping through dirt just in time to see the bus pull off. A low moment if ever there was one.

I say the reality of the recession hit me partly because of my desperate attempt to find some change, but mainly because of the fact that I couldn't find any. You know times are hard when people are picking up their one and two cent coins after them, leaving me short on both a bus fare and dignity.

Bad day.

No comments:

Post a Comment