Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Deus Ex Machina


Cain and Abel are the first children of Adam and Eve. Cain murders Abel, and receives judgement from God. He responds by saying,

My punishment is greater than I can bear. Behold, you have driven me today away from the ground, and from your face I shall be hidden. I shall be a fugitive and a wanderer on the earth, and whoever finds me will kill me.

Simply put, Cain is afraid of the big, bad world; afraid that "the others" will kill him when they find him.

This begs the question, who are the others? Who are these people that Cain is afraid of? His own brothers and sisters that Genesis fails to mention? Does he then go on to marry one of them in the land of Nod? Most theological schemes would demand positive answers to these last two questions. This I find troubling.

Is there a way out of this conundrum? More specifically, a way that doesn't involve secret siblings prone to incest? I just hate it when I have to solve conundrums by introducing incestuous children to the plot.

No comments:

Post a Comment