Monday, April 26, 2010

Something Odd

I noticed something odd today. I was trying to learn the following little ditty on piano this morning:



There's a part that requires some quick back and forth with the ring finger and the baby finger. I don't know if it's because of my poor playing skills or because I'm just badly put together, but it was like I had no control over what was happening with these two fingers.

Then I did a test.

With my left hand I held the thumb, pointer and middle finger of my right hand, leaving only the two maverick fingers free. I then motioned my ring finger towards my palm. Nothing unusual to report there. However, when I did the same with my pinky, my ring finger just started moving along with it, all on its own! What the mess is up with that? Why can't I move my baby finger without moving the ring finger? Is it a normal bodily function, or is there something wrong with me?

To all you pianists out there, can this deformity be overcome? Can practice give you mastery over your own digits, rendering each one subject to your every command? Do I just have do what the Bride did in Kill Bill, and concentrate all my will power on wiggling my big toe baby finger?

I can't help wondering what Heidi Montag would do...

1 comment:

  1. as i said yesterday but it obviously never went through..

    this is normal....if you hold your ring finger steady along with the others and move your pinky..it will move....not overly fluidly but it will move...

    i guess the pinky has issues believing in herself....succumbs to finger peer pressure too easily. a follower finger. perhaps you could help her out...read some self help..boost her self esteem..maybe get her a makeover?......make her FEEL taller even if she isn't......

    not that i claim to be a legitmate piano player...but yes...with practice(something i did a little of back in the early 90's).....'trilling' becomes easier......the left hand will always be a little trickier though

    ReplyDelete