Friday, January 14, 2011

A Biblical Blog Post

Does anyone else have a problem with the adjective 'biblical'? I just saw it in one of the blogs I read to get me angry and it left a bad taste in my mouth.

Biblical manhood. Biblical womanhood. A biblical view of money. A biblical view of sex. A biblical view of work. A biblical view of chairs and their relationship to biblical sitting.

The implications of using this adjective are (usually) "I have the one correct interpretation of the Bible on this matter. Agree with me, or you are unbiblical."

The reality is that doctrine/ethics is a much more complicated beast. It is more complicated because Christians claim to follow a man who is found to be in, over, and sometimes even against the Bible.


* For more on Jesus's relationship to Scripture, you could do worse (though you could most certainly do better) than read my erstwhile series on how Jesus read the Bible. It might just be one of the best things I've done on this blog in two and a half years. (How's that for damning with feint praise!?)

No comments:

Post a Comment