Monday, March 9, 2009

Irresponsibility Breeds Disobedience, But More Importantly, Humour

Having inadvisedly watched an episode of The Simpsons with my two nephews yesterday -- inadvisedly because they are both under the age of 5 -- one fears the worst. Owen will begin to develop a sharp tongue and say things like "Hell" and "Later, man", while Luke will sit on a couch and drink beer all day. At least that's how I see things panning out anyway.

However, there are positives to be taken from this life-shaping experience, namely the knowledge that my nephews have a sense of humour. Isn't such knowledge a small price to pay for childhood disobedience? Don't answer that...

The episode we watched had two of the best Simpsons' moments in the shows history - the first was the scene where the Witness Protection Program change the Simpsons' name to the Thompsons, and then the guy keeps on saying "Hello, Mr Thompson" to Homer but getting no response. The second was slapstick at its best - Sideshow Bob stepping on the rakes. These are classic Simpsons moments, and I can say as a proud uncle that my two nephews, especially the elder one, found them hysterical. Owen was actually laughing so hard at the rake scene that I could tell it began to hurt. It has happened to me on a few occasions, where you just end up willling for the thing to end so that you can stop laughing. Of course I was laughing with him, partly because what we were watching was comedy gold, but also because it was just so funny to see these two little boys laughing so hard.

I'd like to think that all of this made my irresponsibility worthwhile. And if not, well at least there's a good chance that I may not be asked to babysit again. It's like when you are first asked to wash the dishes as a kid, but you decide to wash them really badly in the hopes that your parents won't trust you with the job in the future. Yep, that's the kind of child I was, and apparently that's the kind of 'adult' I am. Oh dear...

3 comments:

  1. my favourite Simpsons episode was when Homer goes to clown college. Pure genius!Well done Uncle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. really?!! owen found it hilarious.....that makes me sort of proud in a way!!......that's a shame....because that's not the right response.....gosh, i love it when he laughs so hard though.....that's funnier than any simpsons episode......breeding cynicism from a early age is always a good idea i suppose??!!

    what can i say??....at least it wasn't deal or no deal you were exposing them to....

    and fear not brother, you'd probably have to be selling our children for babysitting rights to be removed....

    am, don't do that by the way.....if you don't want to babysit, just say!!!....

    people will thank you in the future for shaping their humour.......!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure I've seen the clown college episode but it has been so long I may just have to refresh my memory. Surfthechannel here I come.

    As for the cynicism charge...you know I actually don't think the Simpsons is all that cynical. The earlier episodes usually had some kind of lesson at the end, and i think for the most part the value of family life etc etc was maintained. watching the old episodes again has just reminded me how unbelievably funny the show once was. It and the Office have probably been two of the most influential tv comedies in modern times...although I could be way off.

    That said, I promise not to show the boys any more episodes. Live Spanish football it is from here on in.

    ReplyDelete