Monday, March 30, 2009

Perhaps Maths Is Useful Afterall

I just got two pretty massive books in the post today. God's Empowering Presence by Gordon Fee and Doug Moo's commentary on the The Epistle to the Romans. It seems rather strange that a commentary on one of the sixty-six books in the Bible could be lengthier than the Bible itself, but such is the nature of the Book of Romans that it actually merits such verbose treatment. Fee's book is quite unique, in that he carries out an exegesis on every part of Paul's letters which deals with the Holy Spirit. It seems like a book aimed mostly at scholars and students, which means some of it is likely to go over my head. I mean he doesn't even write Greek words using the English alphabet! What's up with that? Instead he uses the Greek alphabet, so I'm left trying to use my (limited) mathematics knowledge in order to work out what word Fee is referring to. I can pick out most of the letters, but there are still some I'm not so sure on. It does give me a certain sense of accomplishment when I work out one of the words though, so it's not all bad. In fact, why not join me in my quest for self-satisfaction by working out the English spelling of this word: χάρισμα

See, it's fun, isn't it? (As a clue, one of the Greek letters in this word is the equivalent of two English letters)

No comments:

Post a Comment