Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Juxtaposition

I've recently joined a website called Shelfari, where you basically show off how many books you've read in order to impress the few friends you have who choose to sign up and do likewise. In terms of books I've read/am reading/want to read there are 72 on my shelf, roughly half of which have been written by Bill Bryson.

As I was scanning through my virtual bookshelf, it was funny to see a little bit of variety (though admittedly not much). For example, sandwiched between Systematic Theology by Wayne Grudem and Not Even a Hint by Joshua Harris is Harrington on Hold'em Volume's 1, 2, and 3 (the Workbook) by professional poker player Dan Harrington. For a disciple of tournament poker these books are the bible, so perhaps they are related to some of the other books on my shelf after all.

Also taking up space on my shelf is Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets by David Simon (creator of The Wire). This book finds itself between Mighty in Word and Deed and The Holiness of God. Though the chronicles of the homicide unit in Baltimore -- a city with roughly 300 murders a year -- doesn't exactly fall in line with a book detailing the perfect moral character of God, Homicide is still a fantastic read, albeit a fantastic read sprinkled (read: saturated) with foul language.

Anyway, if you're not a member of Shelfari then click the link I just gave a sign yourself up. It's a good time killer if nothing else.

2 comments:

  1. No I'm pretty sure it exists. Will Smith on the other hand...now THERES a myth. Independence Day is on TV right now. What a brilliantly bad movie. Once you start watching it theres no stopping really. Remember the days when Bill Pullman was our hero, the creme de la creme of the acting business?

    ReplyDelete