Monday, August 17, 2009

Changing the Name

As God changed the name of Abram and Jacob, so I shall be changing the name of this blog. Its provisional title shall be Charismata, pronounced ka-RIZ-ma-ta (I think). This is the word the apostle Paul uses when he talks about what we call "spiritual gifts". Why call it such? Here are a few reasons:
  • Biblical blogs with Greek titles sound learned and informed, even if they're not. Since this one is not, I want to create the illusion that it is.
  • I think charismata is a cool sounding word.
  • I think "Christian blogging", for want of a better way of putting it, needs to see itself as what the apostle Paul would call charismata. Inherent in the blogging ethos is an attitude that goes something along the lines of "This is my blog and I have the right to put whatever I want in it". Perhaps Christians need continually to refresh their perspective on blogging, seeing it not as human right but as divine gift. To some the gift of prophecy, to some the gift of teaching, to some the gift of blogging. A Christian-themed blog should be the "stuff of grace", which is what charismata means. Putting this cool sounding Greek word as the title of this blog will be a constant reminder to me that what I have at my fingertips is not a right, but a gift. That's not to suggest that I have a gift for blogging of course, but I think an average of four hits a day speaks for itself.
Anyway, hope you like the new title. If so, or if not, fell free to say as much.

No comments:

Post a Comment