Thursday, August 6, 2009

It's God's


There are probably as many definitions of the gospel as there are Christians. Each of us has our own unique way of telling the good news that is at the foundation of Christianity. The core elements should all be in place, but they never quite come out the same way from two different sets of lips.

I've heard and read many descriptions of the gospel. I've been in discussion groups where the gospel is the topic for the evening. I've heard people argue that so-and-so isn't the gospel, but that so-and-so is. There is so much squabbling over it's definition that I think we've (or at least I've) lost sight of it's source.

Perhaps we should approach the gospel not primarily with a "what?" question, but first and foremost with a "whose?" question. This isn't to downplay the importance of what is contained in the gospel. But I think in all gospel-speak, we are only on track when we are fully aware of the following: the gospel is God's gospel.

The gospel is told in human words, but it does not find it's source in humanity. It is not humanity's word about God, but God's word concerning Himself (and His righteousness, as seen in Rom. 1:17). The early church was very clear about this, as witnessed in the Book of Acts. In numerous passages Luke writes of "the word of God" spreading and causing change in communities (6:7, 8:14, 11:1, 12:24, 18:11). The apostles knew that it was not their words that were being preached, but God's words.

Paul makes this explicit in his letter to the Galatians. He writes quite emphatically that,

I did not receive it (the gospel) from any man, nor was I taught it, but I received it through a revelation of Jesus Christ.

Whatever we denote as "the gospel", we ought to be careful yet encouraged that we are claiming to be speaking God's word. Careful because it is our duty to faithfully pass on what has ultimately been passed down from God Himself; encouraged because the power is not in our words, but God's. By the power of God's word the world was made, and He has promised that,

as the rain and the snow come down from heaven and do not return there but water the earth, making it bring forth and sprout, giving seed to the sower and bread to the eater, so shall My word be that goes out from My mouth; it shall not return to Me empty, but it shall accomplish that which I purpose, and shall succeed in the thing for which I sent it (Isa. 55:10-11).

Whose gospel is it? It's God's.

No comments:

Post a Comment