Wednesday, September 22, 2010

A Better Story To Tell?

When I look at the lists of the most popular movies with Christians it always includes Braveheart, The Patriot, on and on and on; movies that have great qualities, but they're almost always the favourites of Christian groups because they're about people who have been dealt an injustice, who pick up their weapons and go out and bring down justice violently on the bad person...and sometimes they even get to sleep with the sexy princess along the way, in honour of their murdered wife, of course.

You know, I just...don't we have a better story to tell?

We love it when the Christians win. "Come to Jesus. Pray. And look at all the good that will happen." "Come To Jesus. If you haven't been able to get pregnant, you will. You might even end up with a good truck." Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not condemning these films, but I'm wondering what they're saying. I came to Christ and my life got a whole lot harder...and it's getting worse - just like he promised!

I've never heard of Jeffrey Overstreet before, but he has some very interesting stuff to say about storytelling which you can watch and hear at the Rabit Room.

No comments:

Post a Comment