Saturday, July 26, 2008

Irony...It Can Be a Funny Thing


For those of you who don't know, I have this friend. For anonymity's sake, let's call him Saul (He may or may not be the guy pictured above. I'm not saying). Anyway, while I was away in Greystones, Saul got a job as a factory/hospital cleaner. Basically, he cleans toilets, mops up vomit, and does other various types of cleaning related work. Not the nicest of jobs, but somebody has to do it, and right now that somebody is Saul, so fair play to him for stepping up to the plate, or toilet bowl, as the case may be..

Anyway, when I came back from Encounter we were just chatting away, and he tells me that he's reading this great book during his breaks from work. Actually, he tells me he's reading this great book while he's supposed to be working. I ask him what it's called, and he tells me he's reading Don't Waste Your Life by John Piper. I was like, "So let me get this straight - you're skiving off from your job as cleaner of poo and vomit in order to read a book called Don't Waste Your Life?" Oh the irony of it all.

I guess if anyone should be reading a book like that, it's probably the guy who spends a significantly large portion of the day in male bathrooms. Of course none of this is to make fun of Saul. In fact as soon as I pointed out the irony of his situation I told him that this is so going in my blog, and he just laughed it off.

And what's more, I'm hardly in a position to point the finger when it comes to the topic of wasting your life. Saul is at least earning money while he's wasting his! I, on the other hand, am jobless.

That said, you could do worse than Saul and I, ladies. We're single, we have "rugged good-looks" (not my words), and we'll keep you on your toes. Also, we're involved in our local church. If that last one doesn't get you then I don't know what will.

3 comments:

  1. Ive met this Saul fella before and I can second that last bit. Also Dec and Saul are living at home with their parents so ladies, form an orderly queue!

    ReplyDelete
  2. in fairness dec...why did you give 'saul' anonymity and yet put a picture of him right there in the blog!! one would think you actually did NOT want to keep his identity secret....shocking...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey I specifically said that the person in the picture may or may not be Saul. You guys can continue to guess who Saul is, but Im going to remain utterly tight-lipped about it. It's only fair...

    ReplyDelete