Friday, July 25, 2008

A New Dawn


Before I get cracking on the second half of my wildly successful One Tree Hill recap [?], I'm going to fill you in on the latest development in my topsy turvy, thrill-a-minute world.

My sister has left town for a few weeks (with her family, just in case you think there's domestic trouble or something), so she gave me the key to her crib and told me to go nuts. In fact her exact words were 'Gerry, enjoy my house' (ala Liar, Liar, but you got that, right?).

I see this as a good chance to get my feet wet in terms of living on my own (although given my lifestyle, I'll probably have people crashing here like every night, but whatever). I'll be ordering my own me...I mean cooking my own meals, washing clothes, doing dishes, buying groceries, tidying up, hoovering. Basically, I'm going to be a woman for the next 3 weeks. Oooh, burn!

No I didn't mean that. Those are as much guy things as they are girl things. I just suck at them, which is why I see this as a good opportunity to improve on these grossly underdeveloped skills of mine.

In a nutshell, once I become domesticated, I'll be the complete man. So ladies, form an orderly queue, because this guy is about to become hot, domesticated property.

My plan for today is to get settled in, i.e. scatter my clothes all around the bedroom and stock the fridge with Coke. Some light shopping will need to be done, because there is no orange juice in this house and Declan can't survive unless he's able to open the fridge, take out a carton of orange juice and just chug away to his heart's content. (Notice the absence of a cup in the above description. Cups both slow down the process and create extra wash-up, so I will avoid them at all costs, even the health of my own family).

I've already set up the bed I'll be sleeping in, which I'm quite proud of. One of my pet peeves is putting covers on duvets and basically everything else that preparing a bed entails. I just feel like it takes me a lot longer than it should, and also I usually do it at night time when I'm just about to go to sleep, so really the last thing I want to do at that point is work, which is what it feels like to me.

However, a certain Jugen showed me a better way of doing things while we were temporary roommates in The Y. The trick, he told me, is to have your duvet cover inside out and then work from there. Granted Jurgen tried to demonsrate this approach in Greystones and failed miserably, meaning we both slept in our bunkbed without any form of bed clothing apart from a pillow cushion (even rookies like myself can handle pillow cushions with relative ease).

But despite Jurgen's demonstration being a tiny bit pathetic, I could see where he was coming from in some small way. Anyway, to cut a pointless story short I tried it out just now and it worked a treat. So thank you Jurgen. Every time I think I have you pegged you never cease to amaze me. And if anyone else has any tips with regards any of this stuff then please comment away or send me a facebook message or something. I'm scared, and I need help.

Well I best be off. I have some shopping to do and a One Tree Hill recap that needs to be posted before you guys start going mental. I'll try and keep you updated on anything interesting I discover from living alone over the next few weeks, so stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment